How much does spray foam insulation for a basement cost?
Getting tired of cold floors and uncomfortable temperatures when you walk from room to room in your house? It might be time for you to take a look at your basement insulation to see if it could be a reason why your feet are always cold in the winter. As insulation has evolved over the past 40 years, spray foam insulation has taken the lead with being a very effective option when compared to traditional insulation. Spray foam insulation for your basement is a great choice to make a difference in the overall comfort of your home. We’ll walk you through everything you need to know about what the cost of spray foam insulation is for a basement or crawl space.
What are the signs that you need new basement insulation?
Knowing when to replace your basement insulation is important. While most insulation can last up to 80 years, over time the effectiveness of the insulation will go down. However, there are a few different signs that you can look out for that indicate it’s time to replace your basement insulation with new insulation. Here’s what you should look for:
- Water damage from basement flooding.
- Mold growth, whether it’s visible or not.
- Insulation has been compromised in some way by an animal, storm, etc.
- Your house has endured a major weather event or house fire.
- Excessive accumulation of dust and dirt on the insulation.
How much does it cost to insulate a basement?
Not all basements are made the same. Therefore, depending on the size of your basement the total cost can vary from home to home. On average, you should expect a project of this nature to cost you anywhere from $2,000 to $3,000 for spray foam insulation installed by a professional. This is just an estimate, and we recommend that you consult with a professional to determine a realistic price for your basement.
What factors should be considered to determine the final cost?
There are many factors that should be considered when determining the final cost of spray foam insulation for your basement. These are the main factors to take into consideration for your home:
- Size of the area: This is the biggest factor to consider as you could be insulating all of the walls in your basement or just insulating the rim joist. Depending on what you want insulated, the price will be affected depending on the size of your total areas to be insulated.
- Height of the walls: Wall height can vary in your basement causing the size of the area to increase and making the overall cost increase.
- Open cell or closed cell: The type of material you decide to use can affect the total cost and performance of the upgrade. We recommend closed cell spray foam because of its waterproof performance for below grade applications like basements and crawl spaces.
- Removal of old insulation: If you still have old insulation in your basement that needs to be removed, this can add an extra cost to your total. The old insulation must be removed before new spray foam insulation can be put in your basement.
What are the benefits of insulating your basement?
There are many benefits that come along with insulating your basement with spray foam. Now that you understand what the cost might be for this project, it’s good to know what you will be getting in return. These are the most common benefits that you will get from properly insulating your basement with spray foam:
- The floors in your home will no longer have that cold feeling when walking across them.
- The drafts along your baseboards and floors will be reduced, if not completely eliminated.
- An overall increase in energy efficiency in your home.
- Prevents any pipes from freezing and possibly bursting during the cold winter months.
- Less bugs and critters will be able to enter in your home as their access holes have been sealed.
Ready to insulate your basement?
If you think it’s time to insulate your basement or you would like a home energy audit, we are here to help at Ecotelligent Homes. We have a team of experienced professionals that can find the best solutions for your home to increase energy efficiency and create a more comfortable environment for you and your family. Contact us today to schedule a home appointment with us!